Adding a webcam to the Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is one of the first things most users learn about the program. It’s a very simple process thanks to the streamlined user interface. In addition, you can integrate the webcam microphone if you lack the right audio equipment.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to add a webcam to OBS. We’ve also added some tips on adjusting settings to improve image quality and what to do if the webcams are unresponsive.
How to add a new webcam to OBS
With OBS, you can connect any video device you have at your disposal, from camcorders to webcams. Most streamers, however, use their computers’ built-in cameras for broadcasting. In the following sections we explain step by step how to add a webcam to OBS. We’ll also show you how to adjust the audio settings if you want to integrate the webcam microphone.
Video capture device input
With the “Video Capture Device” function you can transfer any video driver from your operating system. This of course also includes your webcam. To start the integration:
- Start OBS and navigate to the “Sources” box at the bottom of the window.
- Click the little plus button to access a pop-up window.
- Finally, select “Video Capture Device” from the list of options.
Name the plane
Next, you’ll want to label the webcam layer for better navigation. This is especially important if you want to add more than one video device. That’s how it’s done:
- Once you have selected the video capture device, a small pop-up window will appear.
- Highlight the circle next to “Create New Source”. In the dialog box that opens, enter the name of the layer. Example: “Webcam 1”.
- To add an existing layer to the transfer, select the circle below. Next, select the level from the list provided.
- Finally, make sure you check the little box that says “Make the Source Visible”. otherwise you cannot find it. When you’re done, click OK.
Selection of the device
If you have multiple webcams, you need to choose the one that you want to use as your video capture device. Here is what you need to do:
- After naming the level, a new âPropertiesâ window appears.
- Click the Devices dialog box to open a drop-down list of devices. Next, select your webcam.
- If you notice anything about the picture, you can tweak the webcam settings. Click the Configure Video button below to access the settings. Then configure the camera properties by moving the sliders. When you’re done, click Apply, then click OK.
- To change the default resolution, click the Resolution / FPS Type dialog box. Select the preferred setting from the drop-down list.
- When you’re done, click OK.
Add the webcam microphone
The webcam microphone is not automatically added as an audio source, so you will have to do this manually. Fortunately, it’s not too complicated and you can do it through Settings. Just follow the instructions below to choose your webcam audio as the primary source.
Select the webcam under the Audio tab
Here are the steps:
- At the bottom right of the OBS window, click Settings.
- A new window will appear. In the control panel on the left, click the Audio tab.
- Then click the Mic / Auxiliary Audio Device dialog box to access a drop-down list.
- Select your webcam as the audio source and click “OK”.
- If you want to adjust the volume, scroll down to the Audio Mixer field. Move the slider left or right depending on whether you want it lower or higher.
What are the optimal webcam settings for OBS?
If you are not satisfied with the image quality, you can always readjust the webcam settings to get a better result. While the standard configuration of your video device is usually sufficient, many factors can affect the picture quality. For example, the lighting in your room may be too dark for the standard exposure on your webcam.
Whatever the reason, there is a possible solution. To adjust the webcam settings for a better broadcast experience:
1. Navigate to the Sources field and double-click your webcam to access settings.
2. If you haven’t already, change the resolution and FPS to a custom setting. Click the Resolution / FPS Type dialog box and select a preferred resolution and frame rate.
3. Then click on “Configure video”. The Settings window is displayed.
4. If the problem is low brightness, move the Brightness slider to the right to increase the level.
5. If the picture is still too dark, try increasing the exposure. In contrast, if it’s borderline translucent you’ll have to drag it down by moving the slider to the left.
6. If you want the image to appear âwarmerâ, you need to set the color temperature. Move the slider labeled âWhite Balanceâ to the right for warmer tones and to the left if you want the image to be âcoolerâ.
7. If the image appears âgrainy,â your webcam is likely having lighting issues. Try toggling the Gain function to resolve the problem.
Why doesn’t my webcam work with OBS?
Sometimes there can be problems with the webcam integration. Usually it’s nothing serious and can be managed with a simple restart. There are also some advanced troubleshooting steps you can try if the quick fixes don’t work.
If your webcam is not responding, try closing OBS and then restarting it. And if that doesn’t work, you may need to update the software. Outdated firmware can sometimes cause glitches, so downloading the new version of OBS can be helpful. That’s how it’s done:
1. Open your browser and go to official OBS website.
2. Click the Download tab at the top of the page.
3. Next, select the appropriate version for your operating system. There are three editions for Windows, Linux and Mac.
4. When finished, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download.
Another possible cause of the problem could be background apps. If programs like Skype or Zoom are currently using the webcam, OBS will not add it as a video device. Make sure to close all background apps when adding your webcam and restart the transfer software.
If you’ve tried all of these quick fixes and the webcam is still not responding, it’s time to move on to more advanced measures. For example, if you have several âscenesâ in OBS, you have to manually activate a specific webcam setting for each one. Here is what you need to do:
1. Scroll down to âScenesâ and click on the first one.
2. Next, double-click the webcam in the Sources panel to access Settings.
3. Activate the “Deactivate if not displayed” check box.
4. Repeat the same steps for every scene and source you have in OBS.
Finally, OBS support recommends reinstalling the webcam as an effective troubleshooting measure. It can increase the performance of the graphics driver, which in turn makes OBS integration easier. That’s how it’s done:
1. Start the âDevice Managerâ app on your computer.
2. Find your webcam in the list of available devices. Right-click to open a drop-down menu and choose Uninstall.
3. If you only want to update the video drivers, click Update Driver instead.
4. After disconnecting the camera, wait a few minutes before reconnecting it.
5. Finally restart your computer.
Smile for the camera
OBS lets you add any video device currently available on your operating system, including the built-in computer camera. You can integrate your webcam in a few simple steps. You can also use the camera microphone as the primary audio source.
If you have problems with the image quality, you can use OBS to optimize the settings for the best result. And in case of glitches or errors, there are several possible fixes that you can try. It’s always best to start with the basics, like restarting the software, and if that doesn’t work, move on to advanced troubleshooting.
Do you use OBS for live broadcasts or do you prefer other software? Do you know of any other possible fixes for webcam glitch? Let us know in the comments section below if we’ve missed anything.